Wednesday 21 May 2014

England Coach Roy Hodgson news conference from Portugal

England manager Roy Hodgson speaking from the World Cup training camp in Portugal:
"John Stones twisted his knee, nothing serious, he could have trained. It was nice to see Phil Jones in the warm-up, he is going well and looks like he might be taking part in some footballing activities later this week.
"At the moment things are looking good. Apart from John Stones we have come through totally unscathed."
Wayne Rooney
Roy Hodgson on Wayne Rooney: "He is looking very good, very good indeed. We try and individualise it a bit so in the session I did today I left a few senior players out but it is only a precaution because we are trying to make certain we do not put too much physical pressure on the players too early. It has been a very good few days. There is a long way to go but at least we have got off to a good start."
England manager Roy Hodgson speaking from the World Cup training camp in Portugal:
"They [the younger players] are here on merit, They have got that message, have integrated very well. Italy is still three weeks off and it is much too early to concern ourselves with now. Today is the first remotely tactical thing we have done, it has been more physical and passing games."
Roy Hodgson on Italy, England's first opponents at the World Cup:
"I know having worked in Italy they will be under a lot of scrutiny and pressure. They will be expected to beat us and the other teams in our group but I don't honestly think there are many teams or coaches who go into a World Cup without feeling the pressure to succeed. Anything I read or hear about other teams I take with a pinch of salt, I take it on the basis that they will have the same attitude as we have."
"We are England and when we are together that is all that matters. As far as I am concerned any activities regarding transfers have to do so outside the training camp. I can't stop possible phone calls but as far as anything else is concerned, it has to happen outside our time because we are England."
Roy Hodgson on Manchester United's appointment of Louis van Gaal as the club's new manager:
"I know Louis. I have always got on very well with him. I am pleased for him. He has been asked to take on a big job and my congratulations to him but when it comes to all of these appointments with club teams I don't think it is for national team managers to speak about it."
England
More from Roy Hodgson:
"We don't talk about relaxation, we talk about the professional job we need to do and we expect players are 100 per cent professional. If they happen to enjoy it it is a major bonus.
"I think players are excited to be selected. Everyone realised my choice was a difficult one. It wasn't just lets take the only ones there, there were a lot more players that could have come so there was tension before. There is a feeling of enthusiasm and energy because they are happy they are taking part and leading the way for England."

Roy Hodgson on being with the squad:
"I am finding it tremendous. It is the first training session I have really done with the team for two-and-a-half months. I have really enjoyed being with the players these two or three days. I am impressed by the way they have approached this task and the way they are going about their business. I was prepared to be impressed because they have impressed me every time."
On Wayne Rooney and can he produce his best at the World Cup: "It won't be for the want of trying or want of dedication. He realises what a good player he is, he knows we, as a football nation, place a lot of faith in him. The eyes of England and possibly the rest of the world are on him. He spent his week off here in Portugal and trained in that time. He told me he wanted to be 100% ready to train from the first day."
As a finale, Roy Hodgson is asked if he knows when his players' birthday are:
He said: "No. They don't wish me happy birthday either. I regard those things as being flippant, I don't think it has anything to do with being a professional footballer. I do not interfere in their private lives."

No comments:

Post a Comment